Due: January 13, 2016 for February 01, 2016 Appointments
The STEM Transformation Institute reflects FIU’s commitment to advance research and educational change through evidence-based practices that will ultimately increase the number of well-prepared STEM professionals, including teachers, graduating from FIU. The Institute builds on multidisciplinary collaborations across the Colleges of Arts & Sciences, Education, and Engineering & Computing to engage all stakeholders in the community: students, faculty, administrators, local K12 systems, local colleges, business and industry, foundations, and national education organizations. Together, we serve as FIU’s response to national calls for 100,000 new STEM teachers and an additional 1,000,000 STEM professionals by 2020.
The STEM Transformation Institute is seeking applications for 2016 Faculty Fellows. Fellows form the core membership that drive the Institute’s future, directly benefit from the Institute’s activities, and commit to furthering the Institute’s mission. Fellows are appointed to three-year, renewable terms.
Benefits for Fellows include:
- Eligibility to apply for STEM Institute Seed Funding targeting proposal development, pilot research studies, and/or course innovations. Funding may include salary, travel, and/or supplies.
- Multidisciplinary collaboration for research and evidence-based STEM instruction at FIU.
- Opportunities for external government and foundation funding
- New STEM education and/or outreach projects
- Enhanced education outreach components for existing / future projects
- Facilitation of STEM course transformation (design, assessment, and dissemination)
- Opportunities for external collaborative STEM education research, instruction, and outreach with universities, K12 systems, and informal STEM networks
- Recognition and dissemination of your STEM education accomplishments
Fellows are expected to participate in at least two of the following activities:
- Collaborate in innovative STEM education research
- Implement evidence-based instructional approaches in STEM course(s)
- Prepare STEM education and/or education-enhanced proposals
- Participate in STEM Transformation Institute Symposia, Conference and Workshop events
- Attend Disciplined-Based Education Research (DBER) Meetings
- Disseminate STEM education findings (research, teaching, outreach)
- Provide and/or analyze data for STEM education research
- Provide other Fellows with feedback on research, proposals and/or instructional methods.
Please Submit Application Online. You can download a copy of the application for your reference. For assistance with form submission, contact Robert.Brown@fiu.edu, Institute Coordinator of Administrative Services. For other questions contact: Laird.Kramer@fiu.edu, Maria.Fernandez9@fiu.edu, and/or Rocio.Benabentos@fiu.edu.